Sunday, May 18, 2014

God's Not Dead!



         "How do you hate someone you say doesn't exist?"                         ~Josh Wheaton, God's Not Dead


I had the privilege--a few weeks ago--of going to the theater to see one of the most talked about Christian movies of the year. Actually, it was my first experience in a theater and it was very exciting with all the loud speakers, the smell of popcorn in buckets worth $19.50, and the largest screen I had ever sat in front of! But this was just the beginning.

I had not even watched the trailer of the movie, and in fact, I hate watching trailers to anything unless I question it. But I wanted every scene to be a complete surprise. Not only was I surprised....

                             ....I was amazed!


                         Anna's Movie Review on....God's Not Dead

The story revolves around a young college freshman, Josh Wheaton, who needs to attend a Philosophy class to put credits towards his pre-law degree. His faith is then challenged by Professor Radisson who not only personally hates God, but makes it his mission to make all the students in his class write "God is dead" or they will fail the class. Josh and the professor are at odds with each other from the beginning and Josh must prove God's existence in the classroom. He tells the class that Professor Radisson is the prosecutor, Josh himself is the defense attorney, and the class is the jury who gets to decide if God is really dead or....not.

Though Josh endures many hardships when he takes on the professor's challenge, the story also encompasses other people who are somehow "connected" to each other. These people's faith are also tested and that makes this show so real, as their trials are similar to ours. Some actually came to know the Lord personally at the end of the movie; unfortunately, as in our lives, many will turn away after hearing the truth. Josh was given two Scripture verses to read to help him make his decision. I will not expose them, as I implore you, the readers, to watch the movie for yourselves and see how Josh's Pastor's advice will help us in our individual missions to reach the lost.

The show as a whole is moving and demonstrates the power of our witness to the world. Pastor Dave told Josh that he should not be "clever", but to let the power of God's Word be proof enough. I remembered Moses in the Old Testament who thought his words were not eloquent enough to come before Pharaoh. But God still used Moses and God will use us in a powerful way to complete His plan. We just have to believe that we can still be instruments that God uses. He will give us the strength we need to reach out and stand boldly for Him.

As I watched Professor Radisson tell the class to write "God Is Dead", I kept thinking, 'You must believe in God, because to say that He's dead, must mean that He was alive at one point'. But we know that God is still alive, well, and working in this dark world. Man may say that God is non-existent, but without Him, life would not be worth living. Indeed, God is alive!


Final thought:

My encouragement to you would be to find, if you have not already, a movie theater near you and see this powerful film. I guarantee you that this film that I give 5 stars to, will not disappoint you. It's certainly not a waste of money to see it and even buy it when it comes out in DVD format in August, possibly.


For more information, go to: God's Not Dead Official Movie Link

2 comments:

Kaleigh Stroink said...

Good post, Anna! This is one movie I'd love to see one day! Thanks for posting. :)

Lady Bibliophile said...

I've heard a lot of good things about this movie. Enjoyed your review! :)

~Schuyler