Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Bright Lights And Schuyler




So I had a wonderful chance to "email interview" one of my dear friends from Michigan about Bright Lights. Some of you have probably heard of the program, but here's some insight from one of the lovely ladies who leads her own group. Please take a look at her responses and support her by following her links posted on the bottom of this page. Thank you!  


What is Bright Lights and how does it impact people? 

Bright Lights is a ministry that seeks to help teen girls to build solid character commitments. We call ourselves a discipleship ministry, and BRIGHT stands for Being Radiant in Godliness, Holiness, and Testimony. The goal of our ministry is to encourage girls in building good habits such as spending time in God's Word and cultivating biblical relationships with family and friends. Bright Lights helps girls navigate their teen years so they have a strong foundation for adulthood. Teen years don't have to be a pain, although they certainly are challenging. They can be a rich time of growing in and fellowship with Jesus.

Bright Lights was founded in 1996 by Sarah Mally. It has grown to include groups all around the US, as well as Singapore, Australia, Malaysia, and elsewhere. I lead one of the Midwest chapters. :) We meet twice a month for a time of teaching, singing, memorizing, and tea in real teacups!


How did you get interested in Bright Lights?

I was familiar with the Mally family through their book Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends.(We read that a lot when we were little.*smile*) Then, the summer I turned 12 we received a brochure in the mail for a Bright Lights girls' conference in the state where I lived. I loved it. Not only was it a special one-on-one trip with my mom, but I caught the vision for being a good influence on girls younger than me. The whole weekend was a time of conviction, encouragement, and making dear friends that I still know to this day. I loved the older girls on staff running the conference--they seemed so grown-up and wise to me. :) And I hoped that someday I could be a Bright Lights leader myself. Four years later that dream came true--and to date, I myself have helped out at Bright Lights conferences just like those other young ladies so long ago!


What topics/lessons do you teach on and which one is your favorite? If you have a favorite lesson/application, why?

There are so many topics we've covered--sets on fruits of the Spirit, basic Christian commitments, and removing polluting influences from your life. But I think my favorite topics were the last two we covered. We did a several-lesson set on wisdom, and I learned so much about how to gain wisdom--primarily by spending time in God's Word. Wisdom helps us receive rebukes from others, make wise comments, and grow in our knowledge of the Lord. Also, this latest set we just finished covered modesty and inner beauty. I was amazed by studying the Greek of 1 Peter 3:3-4 and learning just how much I've missed over the years with a superficial reading of that passage.


How long have you been teaching Bright Lights? And is this something that you would like to continue doing for many years to come? 

I have taught Bright Lights for 2 and 1/2 years, since June of 2012. It has been a blessing to impact the various girls that have come and gone, and I am committed for as long as the Lord wants us to keep going! I don't know how long that will be, but would imagine another couple of years at least. :)


Is Bright Lights for any certain age group or for girls from healthy homes?

Bright Lights is advertised as a group for girls from ages 10-14, but we have open hearts and willing homes for girls on both ends of that age spectrum. In my group I have invited even younger girls (especially if they have older sisters attending) and I have girls who have stayed long after they've left 14 behind. :)

While Bright Lights is primarily designed for discipleship (Christian growth) rather than evangelism (non-Christians) we certainly welcome girls from broken homes. If they are struggling at home, all the more reason that they should come here for some safe, loving fellowship! God doesn't require a perfect home to grow in Christ, and neither does Bright Lights. :) Especially if they are Christians, we would want them to get some biblical encouragement that they might not get otherwise. And if they are non-Christians and interested in coming, we would not turn them away! We want each girl to see the truth and mercy of Christ in each meeting. In fact, in the last few months I have made it a goal to tie every lesson in some way back to the basic gospel, so that the girls know why they should seek to build good character in the first place.


How have you, personally, been impacted in teaching the lessons? 

Well, as a leader my desire would be that I am a clean vessel, able to genuinely share what God has entrusted me with. Though I am not always perfect, nor do I embody each lesson, I learn a LOT with the girls. I have learned the importance of perseverance and discipline in planning lessons and keeping in touch with the group. I have been encouraged by the joy I see in the girl's faces, and the conviction, and the fact that the Holy Spirit is using the lessons to teach them about their relationship with Christ. I have seen the Lord provide inspiration and confidence for me time and time again when I was worried I didn't have everything together. And he has always blessed the meetings mightily.
I look forward to seeing what he will do in future, and pray that I will be found a faithful servant.

Schuyler McConkey is a novelist and Bright Lights ministry leader living with her parents and two siblings. She keeps busy with the last edits of a WW1 espionage novel, and critiquing various manuscripts for friends and writing partners. Schuyler also authors a blog, My Lady Bibliophile, where she writes book reviews and articles evaluating classic literature. In her spare time, she enjoys listening to Irish love songs, learning Gaelic, and reading too many Dickens novels.

You can find her on Facebook, Pinterest, Goodreads, and Twitter.

2 comments:

Lady Bibliophile said...

Thanks so much for having me today, Anna! <3

Julianna Kraemer said...

Thank you, Schuyler. :) You did such a wonderful job and it's great for readers to learn more about this godly ministry. God bless you for making such a committment! <3