Sunday, October 26, 2014

Rear View Mirror Driving





It might seem weird, but our day-to-day lives can perhaps be compared with that of driving a vehicle. I was driving with my Mom shortly after I got my DL, and a car behind me was just getting way too close for comfort. I don’t even like to be followed almost bumper to bumper in town when we’re going 25 MPH, but out in the country (at approximately 55-60 MPH), I was feeling really cramped for space. Trying to remember to just keep my eyes on the road ahead, I avoided looking into my rear view mirror every few seconds. When the guy finally passed me, I couldn’t help but think of how many times, in my Christian walk, that I kept my eyes glued to the past. I kept looking into that "rear view mirror". Reminiscing on those past mistakes that I've made that sneak up behind me. Those negative memories haunting me, demanding my attention to the point that I don’t focus on what is before me: the Spiritual road. 

If I keep looking into the rear view mirror, I could end up in a ditch or run into another vehicle.  As is in my spiritual walk with Christ, looking back, regretting things, and taking my eyes off of the One Whom I should be looking to, I could seriously hurt myself and others by making more wrong choices. I’ve heard many pastors give this comparison before; but as is with many other things, those words don’t “sink in” until we experience those scenarios and really think about what those messages mean.  

I believe it’s ok to look back at the past sometimes, because then we remember where we've come from and how it's brought us to where we are today. However, I also believe that looking back is something to be careful about. Glancing can be good; but staring draws our attention away from Christ and His perfect plan for us. We will never get fulfillment by looking into the “mirrors” that remind us of our failures; but we can find satisfaction if we keep our eyes on Christ, remembering that He has a perfect plan that we need to be looking towards.

We have already faced many obstacles before. With Christ, we will keep looking straight ahead, because that’s what will keep us on the path that He has laid out for each of His children.

Hebrews 12:2 “..looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

Blessings,
Anna

No comments: