Monday, March 16, 2015

Countin' Them Up!


                  "Sometimes we are so busy adding up our troubles
                         that we forget to count our blessings."

Have you ever heard the saying that sometimes the "bad outweighs the good"? It's only true if that's what we tend to focus our attention on. If we choose one over the other--the good things happening in our lives or the complications--it will more than likely dominate our attitudes. Negative thinking tends to be the easiest to take us over and therefore, we can easily become depressed and discouraged.

Sometimes, I get caught up in the bad things happening. A couple of years ago, my horse cut her leg and required a long healing process. It wasn't until the following spring that she completely got over her injury. Work piles up and I feel like when I accomplish one project, ten more items get added to the "to do" list. Bills aren't a scarce friend to the mailbox and I worry about where the money will come from. See what happens when we start to focus on the negative things happening in our lives? Like me when I read this paragraph, you might be feeling saddened as well.

You probably remember the hymn that goes "count your blessings, name them one by one. Count your many blessings see what God has done". It doesn't say to "count the many bad things, see what your life has become". And if we were to look at Philippians 4:8, we'd see the guidelines for the things that we are to spend our time thinking on....

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

If we think of the positive things happening around us, we'll be following the instructions given in the above verse. I know I need to practice thinking about the many good things God has placed in my life and the many friends He's blessed me with! But at times I must admit that it only seems like a "perfect" person could follow the above steps from the capital letter to the period.

It's hard to switch our focus on the positive when we see so much damage and hurt in our world today, but it's necessary so that we don't become disconsolate and weary. God is doing wonderful things in your life right now. At this very moment, I bet that if we all tried, we could name more than ten things we can be thankful for. Right now, I'm thankful that God allowed me to rise and shine this morning (even without caffeine); thankful to be an only child so I don't have to share my Mom with other siblings (haha ;)); thankful that He gave me hands to serve and work; thankful for friends who encourage and counsel me; thankful for enough money to pay the bills; thankful for music to cheer me up; thankful for our pastor and his wife, who continue to serve our church and community.

I suppose you could say that this post has two main themes: contentment and positive thinking. But they go hand in hand. If we think positively about the circumstances surrounding us, we can find contentment in the day that God has given us. When we're satisfied with what we have, we will think better and focus on the good around us.

I'd love to think positively, but I can't do it without trying. Can I change overnight? No. Does it take practice? Of course. But when climbing a staircase, one of your feet has to take the first step. The first move towards contentment doesn't rest on the things you own or all the wonderful experiences you are having. I read a quote awhile back that said: "Contentment isn't getting what we want, but being satisfied with what we have." And in Philippians 4:11, is says: "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

We all have to work at positive thinking, though it sometimes comes more naturally to some folks than others. I find it more difficult, but it's not like we don't have a choice. No matter what problems we are facing tonight or what awaits us tomorrow, God is already there, waiting to go through it with us. We may not be able to change our circumstances, but positive thinking will sure help. Don't you agree?

No comments: